Lead Backend Engineer
By Tonia Samsonova
CEO and Founder
Exactly.ai is an early-stage startup that has recently completed its Seed round of investments. We are building a marketplace for professional visual creators to train and publish their personal Gen AI models. Brands can rent these models to generate images for their marketing and product needs. Since its launch in November 2022, Exactly has organically gained 15K registered users, including award-winning and internationally recognised artists. We prioritise ethically sourced AI, which means that all uploaded images, created models, and generated images belong to the artists, not us.
Exactly is a part of NVIDIA Inception Accelerator and has been recognised as one of the top 15 European and Israeli startups in 2023 by Google for Startups. We have also graduated from the Google AI First Accelerator. Our AI Research team has developed a technology that excels in understanding an artist's style and creating high-quality images in that style.
With these accomplishments in our first year, we have exciting plans for 2024. Therefore, we are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Senior Backend Engineer to join our AI startup. As a Lead/Principal Backend Engineer, your focus will be on creating infrastructure that supports easy iteration through new or experimental functionality, ensuring observability and reliability, and enabling quick releases of new features. You will lead a high-performing technical team, architect a technical strategy, and have a significant impact on the company's future. Other responsibilities include leading engineering projects, guiding technical decisions, and building strong relationships across the organisation. In addition, you will be an impactful individual contributor, actively writing code and being hands-on in your role.
- The salary for this role is determined based on the market benchmark and the candidate's years of experience.
- In addition to salary, stock options are also provided.
- The work arrangement for this role is hybrid, with 3 days in the office.
- Candidates from different locations are considered for this role, even though the company's headquarters and office are located in London. If you are not based in London, you can work remotely for this role.
- The role offers 25 days of holiday in addition to bank holidays.
What the job involves
- Leadership: Cultivate a high-performing technical team in alignment with our mission, fostering an environment that encourages innovation and growth
- Strategic Tech Direction: Architect and execute a holistic technical strategy that supports our business objectives
- As we are an early-stage startup, there is room for you to have a huge impact on the future of the company and a large amount of autonomy to shape your role and get stuck in
- Being an impactful individual contributor. You should like to write code. We're going to do a lot of that.
- You have experience in leading product development from the ground up: designing, planning, building, launching, and maintaining.
- Leading engineering projects as a player-coach
- Being forthcoming in meetings and actively guiding technical decisions
- Planning and breaking down work to understand and communicate complexity which allows company-wide prioritisation
- Being a reliable and reactionary pair of hands when it comes to system alerts
- Write up high-standard engineering documentation to set up long-term practices
- Shape and contribute to the best engineering culture in the London tech scene
- Build strong and trusting relationships across the product team and org structure
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals
- Ability to independently solve complex engineering tasks, evaluate trade-offs, and execute them with appropriate testing, communication, and documentation
- Excellent cross-functional collaboration and communication skills
- Experienced working in early-stage teams (pre-Series B)
- Enthusiastic to work as an IC
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- Proficiency in concurrent and asynchronous programming
- Experience in building scalable and responsive compute-intensive infrastructure
- Django 4, Pydantic, django-ninja, heavy use of async code
- Celery for distributed message passing and task queues
- Docker, Kubernetes
- BA/BS in a STEM field or equivalent experience
- Experience in building distributed backends for high user loads and significant scales
- Experience with the deployment of ML/AI inference workloads
- Familiarity with PaaS/IaaS platforms like Google Cloud Platform, AWS, or Azure
- Hands-on experience with orchestration, logging, observability tools
Please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org